After over a decade of championship events spanning Europe, Asia, Africa and South America, the grand finale of the world’s most important freestyle football tournament, Red Bull Street Style, will blast into North America for the first time this fall. The sport’s best international athletes, including the defending titleholders, will turn up the heat in Miami, Florida, USA on November 15, 2019.
MIAMI, Florida (USA) –Whether they call it soccer or football, multicultural Miami has some of North America’s most passionate fans – and they’ve been waiting to experience the Red Bull Street Style World Final, where athletes from over 50 countries will battle one on one for bragging rights as the planet’s best overall freestyle football player and official World Champion. Here’s everything you need to know:
· Eight women and more than 45 men will bring their most innovative new tricks to a hub of creativity, Miami’s buzzing Wynwood Arts District. The venue is the RC Cola Plant, a beloved architectural monument that has been revitalized from its formerly abandoned state to become a popular event space, with a graffiti museum and plenty of prime viewing for spectators.
· As always, spots in the grand finale are earned in fiercely contested WFFA events: national qualifiers for the men and a global online qualifier for the women. Waiting to take on those winners in Miami will be the reigning champions, Norway’s Erlend Fagerli and Poland’s Agnieszka “Aguska” Mnich. Fagerli dominated the Freestyle scene last season and is known for his fearsome combination of originality, versatility and control. Mnich also had a career-best campaign last year, so with the bar higher than ever across the board, fans can expect next-level play.
· First launched in 2008, Red Bull Street Style is a global tournament that aims to find the best overall freestyle football player in the world. The sport is all about combining out-of-the-box creativity with out-of-the-ordinary skills. Individual athletes express themselves by executing jawdropping tricks with a ball in head-to-head play: three minutes, two players, one ball.The tournament format is designed to put equal weight to all sides of the equation: the most creative, technical and stylish player in each gender will be crowned Red Bull Street Style World Champion. Over the years, the elite judging panel has included such legends as Roberto Carlos, Gary Neville, Fabio Cannavaro and Edgar Davids.
· The national qualifiers will conclude four weeks before the grand finale, with the field further narrowed down when the winners converge in Miami for on-site Qualification on Thursday, November 14. Then, fans will pour into the RC Cola Plant for the Red Bull Street Style World Final on Friday, November 15, 2019. Exact times to be announced soon. To stay up to date with all the latest, visit: www.redbullstreetstyle.com
“Results-wise, it is almost impossible to do better than 2018, but performance-wise there are still many areas for me to improve. I feel that I am in my best shape ever at the moment, so I hope to be able to do even better this year!”
– Erlend Fagerli, Norway, 2018 Red Bull Street Style Men’s World Champion
“The level of the Red Bull Street Style World Final is the highest in the world, and you can really show your best. I definitely feel confident. Since last year, I have already made huge progress, and I am going to bring my higher level to the competition in Miami. I feel really strong, and right now I am sure that I will take the title again!”
– Agnieszka “Aguska” Mnich, Poland, 2018 Red Bull Street Style Women’s World Champion